Before you start

Make sure you have the information you need before you start. You cannot save and return.

To keep your information secure, if you pause and do not enter anything for more than 20 minutes your answers will be deleted and you will need to start again. You can extend your time before this happens.

If you need to go back to an earlier page, you will need to use the back links at the top of each page in this service. The back button in your web browser will not work. 

When you have finished, you will be able to save or print a list of the organisations you have notified.

Check you have everything you need

You will need:

  • your Tell Us Once reference number
  • the name and date of death of the person who’s died
  • the name and address of the hospital, care home or hospice if they died there
  • National Insurance number or date of birth of the surviving spouse
  • details of the next of kin
  • details of the person or company dealing with the estate (property, belongings and money)

It also helps if you can provide the National Insurance number of the person who’s died. It makes it easier and quicker for organisations to match them on their records.

Depending on who you want to notify, you may need:

  • their passport number and town of birth (to cancel a British passport)
  • their driving licence number (to cancel a licence)
  • vehicle registration numbers of any vehicles they owned to remove them as the registered keeper and cancel the vehicle tax (the vehicle will need to be taxed again straight away before it’s used)
  • the name of their local council and which services they were getting, such as Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction
  • their Blue Badge number (optional) to cancel a Blue Badge
  • to know if they were getting benefits, tax credits or State Pension so we can notify the right department

You will need to provide the National Insurance number of the person who’s died, if they were getting money or paying into the following schemes:

  • NHS Pensions for NHS staff in England and Wales
  • Scottish Public Pensions Agency for Teachers and/or NHS
  • Scottish Public Pensions Agency Police and/or Firefighters
  • Pension Protection Fund and/or Financial Assistance Scheme
  • Local Government Pension Schemes (LGPS)

Before giving details of the next of kin or person or company dealing with the estate, you will need their permission.

Authority and consent

Are you the next of kin or the person dealing with the estate, and if not, do you have the authority to act on their behalf?
Contact us for help


0800 085 7308

Relay UK: 18001 0800 085 7308
Video Relay Service for British Sign Language (BSL) (opens in new tab)

Monday to Friday 8:00am to 6:00pm.


Email us at

Session timeout

Your session will time out in 20 minutes if no activity is detected.